Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Baby Food Palate

Isn't this pretty? It was taken by my friend Suganya. She makes her own baby food too. They are cubes of her frozen delectables. From left to right: squash, spinach, apples, carrots and mangoes

When making baby food I will put them in these ice cube trays that have lids:
 
Once the food is frozen I will pop out out the frozen food and put them in tupperware containers in the freezer. So all the pears will go in one container, all the squash in another, etc. The night before a day care day I just have to grab cubes out of the containers and put them in one of his food containers. It makes food prep so much easier. By the time morning rolls around they have defrosted.


What he has eaten so far from his most favorite to his least favorite (although he really will eat them all. Even after a yuck face he will continue opening his mouth for more):


He has also gnawed on celery, pineapple core and a piece of bell pepper. These feel good on his gums while getting to experience different flavors. You have to really watch him gnaw on these, especially the bell pepper and celery, as his teeth can now cut little chunks off of these foods and he can choke. I tend to give him the pineapple core the most because if he does get a chunk it is softer and falls apart more easily although it is a juicy mess!

He has also tried Baby Mum Mums which is a rice cracker in the shape of a surfboard. He seems to really like those but I don't like that they have sugar in them so I'm in search of an alternative biscuit/cracker suitable for a wee one. He also is practicing his hand dexterity by picking up Green Puffs (which is like a rice puff cheerio with kale and spinach) and putting them in his mouth. He gets it sometimes but others it gets trapped in the palm of his hand.

He has also tasted several different spices. Cinnamon is the most common as I put that in his apples and pears. The other night we went to a party and he ate his first guacamole (I tried to give him avocado bits only, no red onion or pepperflakes) but I think he got some cumin and coriander flavors in there as well as some lime and some spiciness. He probably could've eaten an entire bowl full of that.

On deck for his food eating is spinach, for strong muscles and maybe another leafy green like kale. I can't  wait for summertime when we get peaches. I think he will love those. I also want to branch out into the spices a bit more. Any other baby food suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment