Monday, September 10, 2012

Post Partum Bod: Abs

Image from nat tummy tuck
Here is a strange and fascinating and possibly gross (according to Mike) thing that happens while most women are pregnant. Our abs or rectus abdominus muscles which go from the ribcage down to the pubic bone separate down the center to make room for the growing baby. The separation can vary. I think from what I can remember the top part of mine had come back together about 2-3 inches at my 2 week post partum appointment but was still separated the rest of the way down. You can check to see how close together it is by lying on your back and lifting your head as if to do crunches and feel the muscles down around your belly button. My muscles are still separated around my belly button. I wonder if it will ever close completely - I guess I should cut back on eating Oreos.


No comments:

Post a Comment