Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Post Partum Bod: Lochia

At around 4-5 weeks post partum we new moms should have ceased with the bleeding, a.k.a. lochia which I wrote about in this post. At my six week appointment I was still lightly bleeding but the blood was still bright red which was puzzling to the nurse. So she scheduled me for a pelvic ultrasound and told me to lay low (no exercise!) until the bleeding ceased. The radiologist  reported back saying that my uterus still appeared to have some bits of placenta which to me and the nurse seemed a little odd because for one thing the blood was bright red and secondly if your placenta or parts of it are still up there you wouldn't usually be producing breast milk but I was producing lots! When I spoke with the nurse about the ultrasound results she said I could either do a D&C (which I had never heard of before but apparently I should have heard of this before) What it stands for is Dilation and Curretage which means that they dilate or open up your cervix and stick a tool called a currette and scrape the inside of your uterus. No thanks. The other option was to take a medication  that contracts the uterus to let the excess stuff come out...they gave me this medication after I gave birth and I got violent chills which is one of the side effects. No thanks. So I somehow managed to talk the nurse into letting it go away by itself. It finally did at 8 weeks - the bleeding stopped. YAY! Now we can commence the walking!

2 comments:

  1. OHHH!!! You're going to see a big change in how you feel now. :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you that you did what you thought was best!!!

      Delete