Friday, May 23, 2014

The Latest on Language

I think the last time that I wrote about Stan Bear's language was back in February. Three months later and he is still talking and making noises. He's really good at copying our words just like you saw in the "Can you say" video. He can say words but some of them he doesn't know the meaning of them...for instance, he can say something like "tack" but I don't think he knows what that is. Lately he has been using these words a lot:

Heady = Heavy
He says "heady" when he tries to carry Mike's yoga mat, or his big Curious George book, or a large branch.
When he first found this branch he said, "Heady." Then he and his pal Jacob went to go lift it as a duo. This is at Jordan Lake.

Keet = Kick
He's totally into playing with balls. He's actually getting good at kicking. So, naturally he says "keet" a lot.
We were actually playing catch with a ping pong ball inside the other night and I kept saying things like, "I'm going to throw the ball." "I caught the ball." "I got it." "Now, you throw the ball." "Catch it!" "You got it!" and he started to say these phrases:
Gotchit = Got it
Chatchit = Catch it
I actually have a great kicking video but can't figure out how to get it from my new smarty pants phone to this here blog. I'll work on it and will take any hints from smart phone veterans.

Titty (ha!) = Kitty

Hot

Bokem = Broken

Done

Roll
He said this last night while rolling up a small piece of cardboard. I had no idea he knew what this meant but I think he learned it when we were rolling up yoga mats the other day.

Yawga = Yoga
When Mike went to yoga the other night the Bear said "Papa?" and I said "He went to yoga." "Yawga." and then grabbed my mat and walked to the door. He got upset when I explained that we weren't going to do yoga with Papa. He ended up putting the mat on the floor and jumping on it.

Jonch = Jump

Cheeten = Chicken

Side = this either means Outside or Other side...for instance, if I am nursing and he's done and he wants the other side he points at my other breast and says, "Side".

Kohw = Cow

My favorite word that he says is:
Binky = Blanky the way he says it is just so darn cute.

Shteet = Street
and he's really good at getting out of the street when a car is coming. It's a good, healthy fear that I am thankful for.

Cheet = Treat
I call those little pouch snacks treats. They are basically mashed up fruit and veggies and grains in a pouch and it's easy to slurp them out for a toddler. He thinks they are dessert. I'll say, "I have a treat for you but we'll have to wait until we get into the car." I will completely forget about it and when we get to the car he will say, "Cheet?"

Chee = Auntie C

Molk = Milk
He rarely does the sign for milk anymore, he mostly just says, "MOLK!" He likes to say it loud, he thinks it's funny.

Mine
This is one of his favorite words to say.

Teetyu = Thank you
This is also one of my favorite words that he says. He not only says thank you when I do something for him but he also says it when he does something for me. It's very cute.

Wakum = You're welcome
If I say thank you he says, "Wakum". Haha! 

Mun = Run
I have been running a lot and I usually take him with me in the jogger stroller. He seems to really enjoy it. Sometimes when I say, "Let's go for a run!" He says, "Mun" and then goes and finds my running shoes.

Pretty
He said this the other day while looking at a light.

on and off from erin kawamata on Vimeo.


Howlp or Howch = Help
He still does his sign for help which is a loose interpretation of the actual sign for help. Stan B basically clasps his hands together to make the sign for help. We are trying to get him to say help instead of whine/cry about something because usually when he whines or cries it's because he needs help with something. It's been such a useful sign.

We are trying to teach him the sign for "want" which is helpful because he'll whine or cry if he wants something and it could be anything between wanting to get out of the kitchen (we have it gated) or wanting more berries.

He doesn't really say sentences yet but he asks people to do things by saying their name and pointing. For instance, "Mama?!" and points to the ball which means, "Mama, pick up the ball". Or, "Chee?" and point to the lake which means, "Auntie C, come into the lake with me!" or "Papa?" and point to the guitar...etc.








No comments:

Post a Comment