Sunday, January 29, 2012

WBWC

When we first moved to Chapel Hill I noticed that we were right down the street (probably less than a mile) from Triangle Yoga and the Women's Birth and Wellness Center (WBWC); they are housed in the same building. I knew that when the time came that I would like to try and give birth naturally and with the help of a midwife. My friend Kristen, who I know from grad school, had the help of a midwife for 3 of her births, (I think that's accurate.) She has 4 gorgeous children. I also remember my Mom telling me stories of when she gave birth to my brother Sean and me and how she asked her doctor about Lamaze with Sean and Leboyer (if I remember correctly) with me. Her doctor(s) were not very helpful and would not allow her to do the Leboyer Method. I believe she went ahead and took Lamaze classes on her own. Thankfully in this day and age there are a lot more options for birthing methods and the WBWC is open to many types of birthing. So far I have met with 2 different midwives (I think they have 7 total) and I love them both. When it comes to labor time I don't get to choose which midwife I get. Whomever is on call that day is the one I get, so they encourage us to meet with different midwives on our prenatal appointments so that we don't get a stranger on the big day. The birthing center is awesome; Mike and I did a tour shortly after we found out that we had a bun in the oven. They have three big birthing rooms that have a private bathroom, a big bathtub, that Mike could even fit in with me if I opt to do a water birth, and a full size bed with customized stirrups that pull out if we want to do it the western way. We can even walk outside (I will give birth under a tree, just kidding) and eat during labor and it will be drug free. The center has a good working relationship with UNC Hospitals which is a hop, skip, and jump away just in case there are some unforeseen problems and I need something like an epidural or a C-section. If that happens the midwife will ride with me to UNC Hospital and stay with me during the entire birth. I feel very comfortable and confident with the choice of using the WBWC. I hope that all goes well but I am prepared for plan B if the babe is against plan A, what a bossy baby that would be. Wish us luck, send us good plan A vibrations!

No comments:

Post a Comment