Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Advice to a New Papa-To-Be




Here are some words of advice I wish Mike had gotten upon being a new Papa. He and I learned it the hard way by making mistakes and learning in the moment but it has all been worth the ride!
  • When she is nursing the baby, quietly ask her if she'd like anything to drink or if she needs anything in general. Often times, in the beginning, I felt trapped under a nursing baby and wasn't so good at getting up and walking around while holding/nursing him (still not). I would get annoyed with Mike for not asking me if I needed anything and I couldn't shout for something because I would startle the baby.
  • When the baby is sleeping or being put down for a nap be conscientious of your voice and sounds. Mike has a deep, booming voice and walks with a heavy foot. The load noises he would make would drive me bonkers. Almost 4 months in this doesn't drive me as crazy anymore probably because one, I told him to shut it a million times so he's more conscious of his sounds. Secondly you get to know your baby's sleep cycle and realize that nothing can wake him at a certain point. It's the beginning of the nap and the end of the nap where he's the most wake-up-able. 
  • Offer her back massages or foot massages (or just get her a gift certificate for one.)
  • Do anything to make it easier on her around the house: do dishes; laundry; cook dinner, lunch, breakfast - especially in the beginning. Eventually you both will learn to do all these things while taking care of the baby at the same time. It's just that in the beginning the mommy will be doing most of the caretaking (feeding) and then will be exhausted and want to sleep while he's sleeping.
  • Your time for bonding with the baby will come and it will be amazing. I don't think this truly started until Mike started watching Aki Bear 2.5 days per week while I went back to work part time at the beginning of October. This made it about three months before the real bonding began for them. It's amazing to watch the little one smile and react and recognize his Papa - it's an entirely different dynamic between the two of them compared to me and the bear. It's lovely to witness. 
  • You don't have to do everything the way that your wife or partner has been doing it. You will parent differently than her. The baby will perhaps have to get used to the differences but in the end will accept the differences in how he is put down for a nap or fed or played with, etc. Babies are amazingly quick learners and are so trusting of everyone and everything. Be yourself...find yourself in your new role - it will be wholly right (just as long as you aren't being mean and abusive!!! duh.)
That's all I can think of at the moment. Tell me if you have any other gems of wisdom for the new Papas of the world and I'll add 'em to the list!

1 comment: