Monday, November 25, 2013

A Room of His Own

Here he is sauteeing some garlic on his stove.
I should have taken a before picture...I'll just describe it instead. Before the Bear's room was his room, it was the office/guest room. There was the futon, a huge shelf filled with yarn and fabric and sketchbooks, a long table with our very large printer on it plus books, a bookshelf pushed up against that table filled with books and some baby clothes and blankets, a desk with more books and crafts and the computer. And then when the Bear came along we put his crib in there with one end against the yarnshelf (he enjoyed pulling skein after skein down from there, oh joy!) It was a jam-packed room that never truly was his. Here are some before/after floor plans that I made:
We slowly started to move things out. I finally decided something had to be done. This room couldn't be this way forever. Our boy needs a room of his own!!! So, I took a day off, a day that he was in daycare. This was amazing...for one, I think it's the first full day where I didn't have to work or take care of him, I could do whatever I pleased. I mostly got his room in order but I did take an uninterrupted bath with Dr. Singha's mustard bath powder thrown in. Love that stuff.

Here he is steaming some dumplings on his stove.
I took everything out of his room except for his crib and the futon and the little bookshelf. I moved the futon to the wall with the door on it. His crib moved to the foot of the futon. I moved in the rocking chair which has been living at the foot of Mike and my bed. I moved in the play kitchen on loan from Kavi (who is moving to Kenya with her parents for a couple of years.) I put the shelf on the wall with the play kitchen and filled it with his books and stuffed animals and some toys. I hung a star light too and some art and bought a rug.
I bought this paper star lantern at a local shop and whenever we go in there he points at all of these lanterns. So, I got him this one. When it is off he points at it and I turn it on. He loves it!
I would love to paint the walls. But first I'd like to hang more art, get some actual curtains(it's just fabric tacked over the window) and recover the cushion on the rocking chair and make a fun duvet cover for the futon. It's the best room in the house. (The cleanest anyway :) ) Stan Bear loves the kitchen (thank you K, S and B!!!) and he has gotten used to the crib and futon placement. (We end up on the futon in the morning - he usually wakes up around 4:30, so I go in and nurse him and we fall back asleep on the futon until 7 or 7:30. ) Here he is cooking me some spaghetti with meatballs:

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that Stan Beat loves his kitchen. Maybe Kavi and Stan can have a cooking party soon and make us some dinner! Also, my co-worker informed me this morning that her 4-year old had a complete meltdown about the easel so we might not be getting it after all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks cool...Love it and your future plans as well. How did Stanley react when he first saw it?

      Delete
    2. he loved it. he went to bed late that night because he was so excited about the kitchen set. he did have trouble going to bed because of the new positions of the beds. but he is used to it now.

      Delete