Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Jack-O-Lanterns

If a pumpkin were a human it'd look like the guy on the far right:
Cutest pumpkin I ever did see.

I thought for sure that Stan Bear would looooove sticking his hands inside the pumpkin and playing with the guts and seeds...but no. It was almost as if it grossed him out or maybe he was scared. He did love putting the cap on and pulling it off (over and over again.)

I found that he would play with the innards if I grabbed them out first:
He ended up throwing the entire bowl of seeds (from the small pumpkin) over the side of the stoop. Hopefully we'll get a volunteer pumpkin vine come summer!

He didn't actually help carve the pumpkins - I don't trust his knife skills yet. I do know that they sell pumpkin carving sets with safer tools. Those with older kids, when did you first let your children carve a pumpkin? I haven't carved one since sometime in my twenties. I need more practice but it looks like the Bear approves:

Here he is on Halloween "helping" me light them. He loved pulling the caps off and looking in. He has a great understanding of the word hot and knew not to touch the candlelight. 

Here is some video documentation:


pumpkin from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, Stanley! I love his little tummy and the way he rests his arms on his thighs to brace himself when leaning over to touch the pumpkin. He's so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a great squatter...
      Did you try washing any of the discarded-by-Stanley pumpkin seeds?

      Delete
    2. We kept the ones from the big pumpkin. The one's he threw off the side we left. Hopefully we'll get a pumpkin patch from that toss.

      Delete
  2. How fun! My kids didn't like to put their hands in the pumpkins either when they were little. Ethan still doesn't like it. Haha! I don't think either one of the kiddos carved their own until they were about 8. Those little carving knives are still really sharp. My kids would draw what they wanted with a sharpie and we would carve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awesome. that's a good idea, letting them draw what they want and then mike or i will carve it! thanks for the tip!

      Delete