Saturday, April 21, 2012

Birthing Class VI : Meconium Happens

In this weeks class we went over all of the icky possibilities that can happen with childbirth. Meconium, pre-eclampsia, placental abruption, c-sections, pain/drugs (like an epidural.) It was a little stressful. I just handed the notebook over to Mike. She gave us a sheet on "Informed Consent" and said that it was one of the most important handouts to have on the day of birth because it can assist the laborer (me) and especially the partner (Mike) in what to ask and do if there are any scary or emergency situations.We we were going over meconium the instructor said, "Meconium happens." and Mike leaned over to me and said, "Oh, midwife humour." Ha.

At the end of class she handed out these cards with specific situations. We each read one and we had to answer either what was happening or what we would do in that particular situation. I was so impressed with Mike. He's paying attention! I feel 1,000 times more confident in him now. His therapist (who sounds amazing) was telling him that when he gives me directions like, "Blow through your mouth, don't push." he should make sure that I am looking at him and that he should actually do the blowing/breathing himself because apparently a woman in labor doesn't always understand words and has to see examples instead. (Which isn't much different from how I am not in labor. HA!)

The next evening I told Mike how that class was my least favorite so far although it is important to know about and be prepared for these things. I just hope that we don't have to deal with any of it. Mike is so supportive. He would say during class, "You can do this." and during our conversation later, "If anyone I know can do this it is you." (That made me cry just typing that.) I told him that I felt a little anxious just because we are having all this build-up about contractions and pain and then watching these birthing videos is really intense too; these women sound like they might die with their moaning and what not. Yet no one can explain what it feels like. I know that everyone experiences the pain differently but I am so anxious about it. I know myself pretty well but they say that you become really different when you're in labor. I can't imagine telling Mike something like, "YOU DID THIS TO ME!" or something else totally absurd. I don't like feeling not myself or having it be out of my control. (I'm a control freak.) Yet laboring ladies apparently do say out of character stuff sometimes. I think my walks and hikes and yoga are going to be extremely helpful. I also think listening to the relaxation/hypnotherapy CD that George made me will be really helpful too (I haven't written about my Hypnotherapy session with George yet, I will soon.)

After my conversation with Mike I went to sleep and dreamt about labor. This was my first labor dream! It really put my mind at ease after voicing all of my anxiety to Mike about it. In my dream I had a smooth labor where I was able to practice my breathing and was able to relax away the pain without the use of drugs and when the baby was delivered it was a long slim baby (like it's daddy) and was fairly pain-free. I know this is not completely realistic but it was really helpful for me. It brought back some of my self confidence and strength in preparing for the birth day which is what I need!

2 comments:

  1. Try not to think of labor as something that will happen TO you because what happens IS you, bringing your baby into the world. Your body knows how to do it just like all of the other functions it performs. When the day finally arrives, your body will ease into labor and you will move with it as it strengthens. I loved spending my labors outside, walking and soaking in the sights and sounds because everything seems more vivid. I always knew when and what to do and loved the intimacy of being close with my husband through all of it. I also channelled the strength of all of the other woman I knew who labored and birthed their babies into the world naturally and then later channelled my former labors, knowing I had done it before. You are strong and you too will know what to do to bring your baby into your waiting arms. It will be the most brilliant day of your life.

    ReplyDelete