Saturday, April 7, 2012

Diaper Thesis


So, I've been putting a baby registry together and I think I'm all done. When I first started doing it (months ago) I didn't realize how much research I would be doing. I really know nothing about babies and baby things. In fact, I went to a friend's baby shower this weekend where there was a 3 month old baby and my pregnant friend was carrying him like an old pro and I just said, "Babies scare me." HA! I had no desire to hold him...well, maybe a small desire but he really did scare me. He was very chubby and adorable though. Anyways, I've been taking good notes of the tidbits that people are feeding me about books and cribs and car seats and breast feeding pillows and diapers. We have decided to use cloth mainly because we're cheap and secondly because they're better for the environment (we love you Mother Earth), and thirdly because we love doing laundry, and fourthly because they are more breathable for a sensitive baby bum, and fifthly(is that a word? and it looks like I wrote filthy) we are cheap...oh, I said that already. My friend Liz posted this link on facebook the other day. It has these two charts showing the approximate costs of disposables vs. cloth dipes. Here are the charts and the numbers:
DISPOSABLES

CLOTH

Boo-yah! 
(wish us luck on our diaper adventure.) 
Fortunately the cloth diapering world has changed quite a bit from when I was a baby in the 70s and even from when I was a teenager babysitting cloth diapered babies in the early 90s. When babysitting in the 90s I think I was still using those big ol' safety pins like this:

But now they have these things called diaper covers where you can just insert the diaper in the cover and snap the thing on. No worries about pricking your fingers anymore. Here is one example of a diaper cover: 
They come in all sorts of colors and patterns and materials and styles to make that cute baby bum even cuter.

You also have the option of using these clasps call Snappis if you want to forgo the diaper cover, or you can still put the cover over the dipe to dress it up some. These Snappis are the new milleniums version of the safety pin. They look like flux capacitors to me; "To the future!"
Flux capacitor:

Images from :
http://www.greenworkscleaners.com/blog/2012/02/15/endless-diaper-debate/
http://www.baby-clothdiaper.com/dritz-diaper-pins-pictures/
http://www.diapercover.com/
http://www.nellsnaturalbaby.com/Snappi-Fastener-Double-Pack_p_108.html
http://backtothefuture.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Images_of_the_flux_capacitor

No comments:

Post a Comment