Sunday, May 12, 2013

Diaper Rash

Diaper rash is a horrible, horrible thing. I think it all started back when we went out to California for a week or so. We decided to use paper diapers since the cloth would have used up a lot of luggage space. We used Huggies, pure and natural and the Whole Foods brand dipes. We also used the Huggies wipes and the WF brand wipes. At home we usually use cloth wipes and water only. The rash snuck up and clung on strong. I think he either had a reaction to the wipes or the diaper material or something. The last time he had a rash the Doc said to switch to paper for awhile because it wicks away moisture better than cloth but that didn't work, maybe it helped a little. The first time I ended up washing our cloth dipes in hot water only and I think that may have helped too. So, I don't know. I don't feel like doing a controlled experiment on my wee ones' tush. I wish I knew what the cause of it was because I would avoid doing whatever it is to keep his nethers in good health. What has made it worse this time is that the new daycare won't use diaper creme; they say it is considered a topical medication and won't do it. ARRRRGH! That pissed me off when they told me that. The assistant director said that I could just sign a form saying it was o.k. but the next day the Director said no. I don't get it. They said that they would change his diaper more often to keep him dry. GRRRR. Anyways, we tried a different diaper creme, Desitin, as we'd heard raves about it from fellow mommies, but he would scream when we put it on him and we think that it stung his already raw rash. I'm sure it would be fine if he was rash free and we used it as a preventative. I put Burts Bee's powder but it seemed to get worse. Mike used Johnson's baby powder (he would put it on the diaper first so that the little particles wouldn't float up and into the Bear's lungs.) I did a combo of All Good Goop first and then Desitin. Nope. Still screams. He would scratch his crotch he was so uncomfortable and he even scratched it sans diaper and bled a bit. Poor fella. So,  I stopped the paper. I went back to cloth at home (paper at daycare still) and let him go nude for as long as possible after his first big poop of the day (because no one wants poop on the floor). He loves being nude too. Thankfully his rash is getting better. It's still there but it's better.

P.S.
Happy Mama's day to all of the wonderful Mothers out there! Having a wee one myself makes me even more thankful for what my Mom has done (and suffered!) from raising me. Thanks Mama, I love you.

1 comment:

  1. And I love you...You are such a conscientious mama and I think Stanley is SOO lucky to have you!
    OOOO

    ReplyDelete