Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Beginning to Break Bad Sleep Habits


We're trying something new. I'm reading this book called, "Solve Your Child's Sleep Problems" by Dr. Ferber. He does sleep study research. It's an interesting book even if you don't have children because he talks about the science of sleep and sleep cycles. From what I've concluded (by only reading the first several chapters) is that the Bear doesn't have any sleep disorders; it's his sleep associations that cause him to wake up in the middle of the night well, not wake up, that's normal, but stay up. This is a typical bedtime:
Nurse on the futon, fall asleep. Silently walk out of the room.
I have been leaving him on the futon because usually when I place him in the crib he automatically wakes up. But now he's crawling. We have a little gate on the side of the futon but not at the foot. Someday he's gonna sleepcrawl right off to a rude awakening. No one wants that. No one wants a sleepy, grouchy Mama either so there's another reason for this new routine. I tried for the life of me following the steps to the "No Cry Sleep Solution" that I've written about here, here, here, here and here but I couldn't do it. It seemed like I wasn't making ANY progress. You can see the low-tech bar graphs I made and they all look the same! I was so determined to make it work. The one thing that I took away from that is not falling asleep while nursing. We've stopped doing that. Yay for something accomplished!!! (Pats herself on tired, pitiful back.)

I was sifting through my stack of baby and parenting books that have seemed to pile up and got rid of 4 good ones to my co-worker who is having her first baby in September (Yay!) and found the Sleep Problems book which was actually recommended to me by my friend Anne-Michelle while I was pregnant. I even listed it in this post. She even wrote this advice along with the recommendation: (great to read before the baby comes, so you can see what bad habits not to get stuck with). I'm kicking myself for not taking that advice because this would have been a great one to read ahead of time. It's easier to create healthy routines from the get go rather than break ingrained habits and make changes after the fact. TRUST ME. This is hard. The method in this book, I think, is also the one that people refer to as the "crying it out method" although he doesn't refer to it as that. What I like about this book, besides all the research and sleep science is that he doesn't pussyfoot around about what you're going to do and what might happen. For some reason, I trust that this is going to work. Also, my friend Anne-Michelle used this method with her three lovely children and they all sleep through the night and don't seem like disturbed humans. I actually tried starting this on a Thursday night without talking to Mike about it other than saying, I'm trying this method from this book. Obviously I needed to have a more in depth conversation because when Stan Bear started crying and I wasn't going to him Mike was like, "So, what are you doing?" He was obviously concerned about the Bear but I felt unsupported and realized that I needed his full support if this was going to work. So I decided that we would do the old school routine for two more nights. After the Bear went to sleep that night I explained to Mike what the routine was and how I needed his support because not going to a crying baby is heartwrenching and makes my stomach hurt and I can't help but feel like I am a shitty parent, pardon my french. In the long run we will all be better rested and happier. I just know it.

I will keep you updated!

P.S. I've got a good progress report for you! Coming soon!

4 comments:

  1. I just saw a facebook update from Punam Bean (do you know of her, Erin?) about the sleep situation with her little babe. Thought you might find it encouraging. I love the way she writes...


    "I had so many ideas of what kind of mother I wanted to be to my daughter before she was born. I thought I was being reasonable and realistic thinking of what kind of baby I would have, that we would co-sleep (to a point), I would breastfeed, that I would wear her, that we would give her a Montessori nursery instead of one with a traditional crib. I am a self conscious mother of the kind running rampant in this day and age. And I was lucky - SO lucky to have ended up with this incredibly intelligent, social, friendly, beautiful creature who makes my heart ache with joy every time I think of her, or look upon her. But at night, she screams - I mean SCREAMS - almost every night - like I'm murdering her - when we put her to bed. FOR HOURS. Just to be clear - she woke up 10-12 times PER NIGHT until she was about 1 year. We cuddled with her, we co-slept with her, we pinned her down, we changed her bed time, we made sure she was tired, we gave her a routine, we gave her tylenol if it seemed like she was teething. I read all the books, tried all the advice, and nothing worked consistently. I end each day losing my temper and feeling like the worst mother on earth, while my dear girl who I love more than anything on earth screams and screams for hours on end. She's on a twin bed on the floor. And tonight, I put her down, I cuddled close to her and said goodnight to her eyes, her ears, her hair, her elbows and so on, and I said, I love you so much. I'm going to get up, and I'm going to close the door that I've always left open. But I'll be right there, on the other side, and I won't leave until you fall asleep. Yes, I Ferberized her. What I swore I would never, could never do. My 14 month old. Because I was out of options. What did she do?

    She screamed for 1 heartbreaking minute, went back to bed, and fell asleep.

    So, the moral of the story is, I will never judge another mother for doing what works. I am a bad mother if I don't get some peace. And sleep. And here we are. Tomorrow is going to be a great day."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh my goodness, heather. thank you so much for sharing that with me, it made me cry. i hate that people call his approach "cry-it-out" and "ferberize" i think it deserves more respect than it gets. and it's not horrible (at least it hasn't been for me, and from what i can tell, stanley is fine.) i've actually started writing another post about my feelings on the whole thing. anyhoo. thanks for sharing this, i will check out punam bean!

      Delete
  2. Erin, Do you let Stanley sleep on the futon every night or in the crib? I was confused...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i used to have him sleep on the futon but since he's so mobile now we've started this new routine and he sleeps in the crib.

      Delete