Sunday, July 29, 2012

I Had No Idea

Baby's fingernails are super soft but they grow. I've trimmed his nails twice now. It's really fun. Sometimes I think I should open a manicure/pedicure salon because I enjoy cleaning up peoples finger and toe nails so much. I hope he lets me always manicure his nails.

Newborns go through an average of 22 diapers a day (at least my newborn does...he's a poop/pee machine.)

Once the umbilical cord stump falls off it still looks tender and raw but let it air out and it's practically healed. Still a little scabby a few days later but looking as adult as ever.

Cloth wipes + warm water is the way to go. Good for a rash free bum.

Cloth dipes feel wet for him. Paper dipes he can go on wearing them without a fuss, even if they are wet. This isn't always a good thing because it still gets warm and moist in there; a clean dry diaper makes for a healthy bottom. When it comes time to potty train and he's in a cloth diaper he'll be able to sense when he has peed/pooped more easily.

Having a baby in the summer time means you don't really need any clothes for that stage. He's worn two items of clothing so far. He wore a shirt for the ride home in the hospital, same shirt to the pediatrician and a little onesie to the midwife's appointment. He's probably surpassed 10 pounds by now which means he won't fit in practically all of the newborn clothes he has. Plus he looks funny in clothes because we're so used to seeing him just in a diaper.

I can get by on snippets of sleep. I didn't think that was possible or that I'd get used to that. I do take pretty lovely (but short) naps. But I've always been a good napper.

Swaddling is magic. Most of the time. If he has a wet diaper or is hungry then a swaddle won't work. But if you make the magic formula work then it is truly dynamic.

I can be totally annoyed and tired but still manage to talk to him like he's God Almighty himself. He's sweet and innocent and cannot tell me what is bothering him which makes me very empathetic. Sometimes I take it out on the swaddling. A tight swaddle equals a frustrated mom but it usually does the trick.

The cat only goes near him when he cries. I wonder if he sounds like a mewing kitten and is making her milk glands swell in response. Or worse, maybe she thinks he's her prey and she's catching him in a weak moment.

It's not impossible to shower or bathe and have a child (one child at least). I shower once a day. It's the best escape ever...well, that and getting out of the house to run errands or go for a walk. I have baby sat for a 6 year old and his two twin sisters who were maybe 20 weeks or something. I baby sat for 2 nights 3 days for them once and never showered. How do people do it?

I'm sure there are more things I had no clue about. I will continue my list when I remember or discover more!

1 comment:

  1. I like this whole post but most especially the one where you say you can be tired and annoyed but....talk to wee Stanley like he is God Almighty.
    ooomama/nana

    ReplyDelete