Monday, July 23, 2012

Placenta, Polenta, Let's Call the Whole Thing Off


So, my plan was to keep my placenta and see how I felt postpartum to see if I should eat it or not. The OB, Kacey, at UNC asked me before they sucked Stanley out (!!!) if I wanted to keep it, I said yes and she asked for a doggie bag (not really, but she asked for a container.) So after I delivered dear Aki Bear Kacey and Hot Doctor worked on getting my placenta delivered, what they did exactly, I don't know. But it seemed like they were fishing in my uterus. I know you're not supposed to pull on the umbilical cord so, I'm not sure exactly what they were doing. Plus I just squeezed a human out of my birth canal so I was a little distracted and relieved and tired. They could have been doing a tap dance routine and I may not have noticed. It was finally delivered and deposited in a little to-go container. Allison said she'd take it back to the Birth Center and that I could pick it up sometime next week.

When Patty came to do our home visit she said she'd bring my placenta. She did but we both forgot about it. She called us the next day to tell us she spaced out and left it in the car for 5 hours. So, it was probably no longer edible unless I wanted to catch some rotten placenta illness. I know, a lot of people think placentas are inedible even if they were not left in the car for 5 hours. So you could say I was saved by the bell (midwife). Instead, we will bury it somewhere. She said we could bury it and then a couple years later plant a tree in that spot. I'm not sure if we'll do that at this property we live at currently or if we'll keep it in our freezer until we live in a more permanent place.

Last night we were trying to figure out what to have for dinner and Mike was shouting out stuff we had in the fridge and freezer and of course he said, "Placenta!" It sounds so much like polenta.

No comments:

Post a Comment