Sunday, July 15, 2012

Papa Bear



Even through a challenging labor and the realities of caring for a new human there have been some light moments that have kept me sane. Thanks to Mike for making me laugh and laughing along with me. He has been the biggest surprise about this journey. I wouldn't say he was a lover of kids or that he was even over the moon about having kids. He's been pretty nonchalant about it all. Yet watching him learn, change, grow right before my very eyes has been absolutely amazing. I may have been the one that was really pushing to have kids but he is the true natural. He is unmistakably Papa Bear extraordinaire.

Here are some funny things that have kept things light:

  • When we were past our June 28th due date he said, in a perfect Adam Sandler voice, "The fetus doesn't want to meet us!"
  • The second morning after the delivery we were in my hospital room. Mike bought me a burger and I was devouring it while he was washing the breast pump. He's at the sink and cheerfully says, "I think we're back on track!" He turned around as tears were streaming down my face while I was eating a burger. It was pretty funny. We both started laughing/crying.
  • When I'm nursing and he makes me laugh me and the baby shake and then he starts singing the milkshake song and dancing, which then makes me laugh even more.
  • A couple days after the delivery we were eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria and as I picked up the packet of salad dressing I said, "I'm just gonna squeeze this out." Mike said, "If only it were that easy." HA!
  • He ran me into the back wall of the elevator almost every single time he would push me to the NCCU to see the baby. Laughably the worst wheelchair driver ever. 
  • In his ladies man voice while changing the baby's diaper, "I'm gonna teach you a dance and the first move is 'lift your butt up into the air.' "
  • He commentates the baby sleeping. Such as...in a whisper, "Watch how his chest moves, slow slow, fast. It really is amazing, I think it will put him in the championshi - oh my ladies and gentleman look at that kick/punch double combo!"
  • When the baby farted he said with pride, "I didn't even have to pull your finger!"
  • Or when baby farts he says, "Oh yeah?!" and then farts as if it is a competition.
I'm sure there are more things but those are the ones I remember. I'm a lucky gal.


No comments:

Post a Comment