Friday, November 9, 2012

Hi, I'm 4 Months Old

Look at him grasping his fingers! He is lying on a quilt that cousin Debbie made him. You can see one of his favorite chew toys down by his hip/tummy-that's the head of Sophie les giraffe (I say that in a French accent). His other favorite chew toy is the wood rattle to the right of the picture frame that Ali got him. And he hates that green plastic chew toy by his head; he cries every time he puts it in his mouth, I think it's too hard.
Can you believe it!? Four months have flown by and somehow Mike and I have kept him alive and thriving. I took him to his 4 month appointment on the 5th and he weighed in at a hefty 18 pounds, 5.5 ounces (My friend Jeff has a little girl who is 15 months old and weighs 19 lbs. His wife is petite. But I thought that was crazy - the difference in age and weight.) Still in the >95th percentile range in weight. His height (or length, as he was lying down) is 26.5 inches which makes him in the 92nd percentile. His head circumference is 42.75 centimetres which puts him in the 50th percentile...just average. Our pediatrician commented on how laid back he was because he was happily lying there as she looked into his ears, mouth, eyes and checked his hips...perhaps his temperament will take after his namesake?!  The Doc also looked at his eyes and said that they will probably stay blue if they haven't changed by now! Yay, I love his blue eyes. It's hard to see how blue they are in pics. When Auntie C met him for the first time she exclaimed at how blue they were as she had only seen pics until then. He has acquired a diaper rash in the last week. My thoughts are that it is dairy as I ate baked ziti twice and pizza twice last week. That's a lot of dairy for me. The Pede thinks it has something to do with the cloth diaper because it is red only on the bit where the diaper touches, not red in the creases. So, she told us to switch to paper dipes for a bit to see if it clears up. I will give it a week to see if that helps (do you think that's plenty of time?) and happily indulge in a mocha frappucino with whipped cream while I wait for any results (thanks Tiff!) If it doesn't clear up then I will put him back on cloth and stop eating dairy. See if that works. If that doesn't work then I'll change his diaper creme. If that doesn't work then I'll just let him go nude and pee everywhere.

4 comments:

  1. He's such a big, adorable, healthy boy. It's funny how they come in all sizes. Natalie was only 17 lbs at a year! (we were all very worried about her gaining weight) and Ethan was 26 lbs. I'm glad Stanley is thriving....and it sounds like you and Mike are too as parents.:)Enjoy those frapps....so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they really do come in all sizes don't they! i'm amazed by everything baby.

      Delete
    2. I think the ped is a little nutty on a couple of counts...one that cloth diapers are causing the rash and two that his eyes will stay blue....Why don't you use that cream/ointment you discovered way back when?
      Okay, I'm done.
      :)

      Delete
    3. I totally think his eyes are gonna stay blue, they've changed a little but stayed blue. Mike and his parents have blue eyes as do you! So it's totally possible! The diaper ointment we've been using has been the stuff we've been using for several months and he's never had a diaper rash before while using it. I think the paper diapers absorb the urine better and wick away moisture whereas the cloth ones feel wet and perhaps that is what is causing the rash. What doesn't make sense to me is that he hasn't had a diaper rash since week 2 or something...that's why I think it's something in my diet. We'll see!

      Delete