Friday, December 21, 2012

Diaper Rash Update

Nothing like a cute baby butt padded by a thick cloth diaper!
 The Bear is back on cloth dipes as of the first of December. We were able to get the rash under control with paper dipes, diligent changing and not being shy with the ointment. I also washed all of his cloth dipes in a hot wash with no suds at all just to make sure that the detergent wasn't building up. You can also strip the diapers by washing them with vinegar but I decided to just do a simple hot wash. I am still diapering him in paper at night (about 2 diapers per night.) The paper diapers have all of this fancy wicking-away-moisture-technology that the cloth doesn't have. I will probably try him in cloth at night again...maybe come January.

As for diaper ointment I must say that although everyone seems to bow down to the zinc oxide ointments (white ointments) I hold All Good Goop by Elemental Herbs in high esteem. That is what I've been primarily using. My Auntie Ann gave me a small jar of it and I have gone through it and have purchased the bigger jar and am quickly going through that as well. It has all of these natural ingredients in it: Extra Virgin Olive Fruit Oil, Beeswax, Calendula, Comfrey, Plantain, Lavender, Yarrow, Vitamin E and Lavender Essential Oil. Plantains?! Whodathunk? Good enough to eat. Not only can you use it as diaper ointment but you can use it for cuts, scrapes, abrasions, minor burns, chapped lips and a whole lot more. Actually, it says to use it for diaper rash not as a diaper ointment. I've been using it even though his rash is lickity split. I gave K a tube of Boudreaux's Butt Paste which is a zinc oxide based creme, so he's getting a variety of stuff on his nether regions, just to keep those dark, moist, warm spots on their toes.

1 comment:

  1. Hurray! (no diaper rash, cloth diapers again, good All Good Goop!)
    Darling bottom!

    ReplyDelete