Thursday, December 20, 2012

Teething Tools

You hear about teething. I was expecting pure and utter hell but so far it hasn't been so bad...(Stanley's sitting behind me shaking his head and saying in his secret language, "That's what you think, Ma! It really really hurts though!") Perhaps that's true but he's been a trooper so far. I want to say that he's fussiest at night but then he wasn't last night...I want to say he's fussiest in the morning but he wasn't yesterday morning. So I guess it's safe to say that it just hurts when it hurts and there's no schedule involved. These are the things he likes best for soothing his achy gums:
1/ Sophie la Girafe - We just call her Sophie. She's cute and she squeaks. Aki Bear goes to town on her mouth, hooves and ears and when he really gets into it all you hear is "squeakysqueakSQUEAKsqueak!"
2/ Tuttel Doekje Eend - AKA Ducky or BamBam. He chews on her top knot which he will soothe himself to sleep sucking on that thing.
3/ Avent Teething Animal Ring - AKA Fishy. I put this sucker in the freezer because the little fish tail is filled with water. He has gotten into this alot lately and I think it really works. The yellow-green portion of the ring is slightly rubbery and he used to gnaw on that a lot but has moved on to the tail.
4/ Nuby Pur Ice Bite Circle Teether - You'd think with a name like that we'd have a nickname for this one like we do the others...but we don't. I think that is the case because we don't use it so much. You can put this in the freezer too but it gets cold all the way around therefore making it hard for him to hold (because it's so cold!) If it had handles, like Fishy, then maybe he would like it more. We'll try it again when he gets more teeth, perhaps he'll enjoy it more during a later stage.

Someone had told me that they, the teethers,  like wet wash cloths that have been stuck in the freezer. So I crocheted this little thing where just the tip could be wet and put in the freezer and the rest can be dry and grab-able so that it won't soak his clothes. I probably should have used a different color yarn as it looks a little private-partsy. Oh well. I'm probably the only one with the tainted mind that sees that. I'll let you know if he takes to it or not.
Yesterday morning I was cradling him and he was sucking on my arm which soothed him. As a result I got this:
An arm hickey! Hahaha!

We have administered two types of homeopathic remedies. One is the Hyland's Teething Gel and the other is Hyland's Teething Tablets that dissolve very quickly under his tongue.

From what I can tell I don't think that the gel is quite as effective as the tablets. I will probably not buy another tube of the gel and stick with the tabs.

I'm going to attempt to get pics of his teeth over the holidays so, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment