Friday, December 14, 2012

I Love Making Baby Food

That there picture is of baked and blended butternut squash. It was easy peasy to make. I halved the squash lengthwise; scooped out the seeds; placed it face down in a baking dish; filled the dish with 1 inch of water; put it in a preheated oven of 375 degrees (it calls for a 400 degree oven, ours runs hot); and 40 minutes later we had a hot, soft squash...a squishy squash, if you will. Once it was cool enough for my fingers to handle I scooped out the flesh and plopped it in the Magic Bullet.
I must say, the Magic Bullet is pure magic and marvelousness. My dad got it for me, buy one get one free. We use it everyday. Mike makes smoothies almost every morn. I now use it for baby food makin'!  I reserved the water that the squash baked in and added it to the squishy squash in the bullet for easier blending. The result was ultra smooth, orange, buttery goodness:
I baked a sweet potato at the same time as it called for the same oven temp. I poked the sweet p all over, wrapped it in foil (the first time I didn't wrap it in foil and sweet, sticky sweet potato juices were squirting all over the oven...I bet that you could just put it in a little baking dish or on a cookie sheet if you wanted to forego the foil.) and it baked for about 40 minutes.
 Isn't that deep orange color gorgeous? It's much darker than the squash. You don't need to really scoop out the flesh because that skin practically falls right off.
 Put it in the Magic Bullet and voilĂ !
That's actually butternut on the right, all blended up...you can see it's slightly lighter in color than the sweet potato.
Once it's nice and smooth I put them in containers of all sorts. I freeze some in these ice cube-like trays made especially for baby food, and yes Mom, they are BPA free. They have lids to keep any freezer cooties away.

Here is proof that I use way to many utensils when cooking:
5 spoons for making pureed sweet potatoes and butternut squash.







1 comment: