Saturday, July 6, 2013

First Trip Around the Sun

I can't believe my boy has been outside the womb and on this earth for one entire year. First of all, Mike and I, two adults with close to zero baby experience have kept this sprightly human alive and well! Second of all, where in the heck did the time go?!

From the moment we got to the Birth Center, his heart rate was at a good strong and regular 140-150 bpms and stayed that way throughout my labor; I think this gave us a good idea of what kind of person this would be. He is a pretty mellow guy; not much rattles him. Also, when the midwife checked my cervix she said, "He's got a full head of hair." And it kept on growing once he graced us with his sweet presence. We should scout him out for a Garnier Fructis commercial.

Mike and I have been changed...for the better. I would list the ways but that would be boring. Well, I will say one thing: Our hearts are bigger. Who knew we could love someone so much? And it's a different kind of love than marriage love. It's a different kind of love than an owner/pet love. It's even a different kind of love than a child-loves-a-parent love. The parent's love isn't better it's just more plump. It's different. It's protective. It's an amazed love. It's a wonder-full love. It's a sparkling, new love. Where a child's love for their parent is, for me anyway, something they have never been without. It's expected, innate - which doesn't make it so new or dramatic...it just IS and always has been - which there's something wonderful to be said about my parents for that. In the words of Papa Mike, "Don't you just love him sooo much?!" Yes. Yes I do.

Here is a 20 minute video I compiled of moments from his first year. I know that seems awfully long but once you start watching you won't be able to stop, I promise. So put on your headphones (I'm lookin' at you Mrs. White), grab your coffee(drink up Auntie Sue) or lemon water(Ma), a fork and your asparagus, leek, gruyere quiche or coconut dream pie and sit back and have yourself a listen and a watch and see how fast the year has flown by for us...for it does seem like the year was 20 minutes long.


ONE from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

4 comments:

  1. You were right I watched it with a smile on my face the whole way through, enjoying every minute. You did an amazing job, E. I have to say that I got tears in my eyes, to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put my trusty headphones on, grabbed a big green salad, and marveled at the wonder that is Stanley's first year. What a magical life you've given him. I can see the joy shining through in your eyes and I can hear it in your voice. It's enough to make me misty! You're such an amazing mom. And Stanley Bear is a little awakened one. He looks (and sounds) like the world's happiest baby boy. Sending lots of love and bday wishes from NYC. xoxo

    ReplyDelete