Friday, July 5, 2013

Your Body Is Doing Good Work

I just re-read my Birth Story, all four parts of it! It really was amazing to re-live it almost one year later. One year ago today I was sitting in a tub at the birth center, so relieved to be there. The bath was a welcome respite after having spent 72 hours at home with irregular contractions and a tired hubby. I love my first-shift(!) midwife Emily and my nurse Missy. I found this video several months after giving birth and it made me cry then. I watched it again before posting it here today and it made me cry still. Nothing out of the ordinary happens. I think it makes me emotional because it is a glimpse into what I went through and what I was feeling at the moment (relief, for we had just found out that I was 9 cm. dilated and the tub was like a natural painkiller.) I feel like it's a Me that I am not used to seeing or being. I'm so calm (tired) and my movements are really deliberate and slow. And being nude in front of three clothed people isn't something I do very often yet I was at complete and utter ease (besides having contractions!)You can hear my midwife's calm and understanding voice in the background. When I watch this and hear her say, "Your body is doing good work." I cry...I cry every time I hear those words. She was so sweet.




birth center from erin kawamata on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that water could be so soothing. Was it warm? Your Vimeo really gives a picture of how focused you were and I can see why you cried a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful, yet powerful moment...thanks for putting it out there! You're amazing...I love the ending. "You're recording?"

    ReplyDelete