Friday, July 19, 2013

Twelve Month Check-up

A couple of days after his birthday he had his 12 month doctor's appointment. He is starting to level out on his weight and weighed in at 23 pounds, 13 ounces which puts him at the 60th percentile for his age. He is still on the upward path for height at 31 1/2 inches which is in the 90th percentile for heighth. His noggin has held steady in the 50th percentile at 46.5 centimetres around.

The Doc said that it was up to us when we wanted to stop breastfeeding and switch to milk. She said that cow's milk is the most fatty and nutritious but we could do other milks as well, like rice or almond but that they may need to be supplemented with calcium. We'll see what happens. I'm going to continue nursing and see if the Bear decides for himself or if I run dry.

She said to start brushing his teeth now but not to worry about using kid's toothpaste until he was closer to 18 months. I try to do a daily routine of teethbrushing but I need to make it a habit.

That's pretty much it. He's a healthy growing boy and we are so happy to have him!

3 comments:

  1. I took opal in to her first dentist appt around 15 months and all four front teeth had cavities behind the them. (It's the hardest place for me to brush.) It was so depressing. I had been brushing her teeth but not well enough and none of the other kids have even had a cavity besides Julian and that was just this last year. Now I have to have her cavities filled in a week and I'm not looking forward to holding her down so they can to the procedure. :(
    The moral of this story... SUCKS.

    In other news, our Ped always says you can introduce whole milk into the diet around one in addition to breastmilk because he tries to encourage everyone to BF until at least two. Did your Ped suggest it was an either or...? Just curious.

    Lake Michigan is calling you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, how frightening. i'm not a very good teethbrusher for him either. i need to get on that and make it a habit. oy vey. poor you and poor opal.

      our ped said that we could do milk with bmilk, yes. no, she didn't say either or. cow's milk scares me though...i know it's the most fatty and nutritious but still.

      Delete
  2. yeah, we use more whole yogurt than milk but recently she's been drinking a little bit if I'm gone for awhile... which basically feels like never. I never leave. I'm trapped. HELP!!!

    ReplyDelete