Thursday, August 23, 2012

Lullabies

This video is kinda embarassing for me only because it's of me singing. I really only sing in the car and the shower and wouldn't say I have a particularly good voice but it works on the little guy while singing lullabies.

In the first several weeks I was singing my two favorite songs as a child to Aki Bear: Skinny Marinky Dinky Dink and Oh, Little Playmate and I also attempted Hush Little Baby but never can remember the lyrics and I always ended up singing stuff like, "If that looking glass gets broke, Mama's gonna buy you an artichoke, if that artichoke don't steam, Mama's gonna buy you iron I-beam." I also sang a sweet song that my Auntie Meg wrote and sang to her first born; the main lyric goes, "Mama loves you yes she do, Mama loves you" - it's super sweet. I also sing to him Silent Night, yes, a Christmas song, but it's really lovely and you say "sleep in heavenly peace" at one point and that's what you're trying to get the wee one to do - sleep - and I always imagine a cozy little manger while singing that song. So that's 4.5 songs in the rotation which can get old pretty quickly. I looked up the song that Mary Poppins sings in that same named movie because I remember really liking the tune. It goes,

Stay awake, don't rest your head
Don't lie down upon your bed
While the moon drifts in the skies
Stay awake don't close your eyes

Though the world is fast asleep
Though your pillow's soft and deep
You're not sleepy as you seem
Stay awake don't nod and dream
Stay awake don't nod and dream

Yes, reverse psychology in lullaby form. Does it work, so far 95% of the time (although on average 5-6 times is a charm before he really truly falls asleep - he wants to stay awake and look at the world!!!) I wish I had a camera that attached to my head, like a head lamp so you could see it truly in action with me rocking him and his eyes fluttering closed and rolling to the back of his head in wondrous sleep but we'll have to deal with the bright lit couch setting instead. I also wish my voice was like Julie Andrews' voice but...
I would like to learn more lullabies too, 5.5 won't cut it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I teared up....you sang it beautifully...I love it...Will send you more lullabies if you want...I think you should sing the Hush Little Baby one with your cute lyrics...I can send you the real ones...but not so fun as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i just realized that he totally poops at the end. hahah! more lyrics to lullabies please!

      Delete