Monday, August 13, 2012

The Bottle


We attempted feeding Aki Bear via bottle last night (Friday) but he was way too hungry and crying to accept it. He wanted food and he wanted it NOW. Lesson learned: Heat the bottle at the first sign of a squawk from the co-sleeper. So, we plopped him on the ol' boob and he took it like a champ (as usual). Next day we thought we'd give it another go. This time we were quicker to react and got the milk warmed just in the nick of time. I had Mike read several paragraphs in the book "The Womanly Art of Breast Feeding" in regards to bottle feeding. Of course he started reading it with warm bottle in hand and fussy baby in arms (ever the procrastinator). They say that the Mom (or whomever has the portable milk kitchen) should not be the one to introduce the bottle because why would the baby take the bottle when the boob is right there?! I even read that the Mom should be 20 feet or more away because the babe can smell the milk! Crazy! They also say to warm the nipple of the bottle, so I ran that under the hot faucet for a bit before handing it to Mike. Once I passed the baton I went into the other room and it sounded bad, like he wasn't going to take it. But then, silence...and Mike exclaims, "I think I've mastered the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding!" and then, "I feel my nipples tingling." HA. and then "Oooh, I can drink coffee while I'm doing this." I think they bonded.

Mike holding two of the most important things in life: baby and coffee. This was after they bonded over the bottle feeding.
 Meanwhile my shirt looked something like this:
Image from flick river


2 comments:

  1. Love it all...are you planning to start working after your 6 weeks are up, Erin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i actually get 12 weeks. but only 4 are paid. we'll see what we can do to get all 12 without going bankrupt!

      Delete