Friday, August 24, 2012

Plugged Milk Ducts vs. Adorable Healthy Chunky Baby

Aki Bear and I just had our first collaboration AND I have found a con of breastfeeding. Plugged milk ducts. OUCH. It feels like you've got a rock (or rocks) in your boob. It's possible that a plugged duct can become infected and therefore be called Mastitis - you don't want this. If you have Mastitis you will feel like you have the flu. I don't like feeling sick. So when I discovered I had a plugged duct I took care of business by taking a super hot shower and massaging the rocky bits, placing a hot compress on the area with a hot water bottle and hot wash cloth right before nursing, having Aki Bear nurse on that side as much as possible in order to help pull out the clog. Every time I would put him on that side I would say, "Get that clog out!" and I swear he would nurse extra long on there. Go Team! I also slept on a heating pad on low all night long. So, I had the plugged duct one night and by 10 am the next day I had managed to unplug it. I was looking up other ways to help remedy a plugged duct and one of them was nursing on all fours with the baby lying underneath you...like a cow. I didn't try that but will let you know if I ever do - that might be embarrassing if someone walked in on me like that. So that's one con so far...but the pros are endless...one of them being a healthy chunky baby:
Look how big his feet look (I'm sure foreshortening helps) but wowee they look longer than his calf!

No comments:

Post a Comment