Monday, May 14, 2012

The Benefits of Variety

I wrote an entire post about why having multiple caretakers vs. one doctor is beneficial...and I lost the entire thing somehow (sad face). I will try and re-compose it...

This is some artwork from a fellow UNM grad student/friend, Tracy Stuckey. These are his Meat Mannequins.
Back when I took the test for my Gestational Diabetes test they also tested my blood for iron levels. The midwife at that appointment said that I wasn't anemic and that my hemoglobin looked good. Hooray! At my next appointment I had a different midwife and she went over my numbers and such and said that my iron levels looked good but were on the low side of good. I didn't ask her what that meant exactly. At my next appointment I had yet another midwife(there are a total of 7 midwives at the birth center and they encourage us to meet with each of them because we don't get to choose who we get on our birth day, it will be whomever happens to be on call that day (or night)). This midwife looked at my iron levels and said, "Your iron is on the low side of good. Make sure you eat meat and veggies high in iron, do you have that list of high iron foods? Having low iron can effect your post partum mood so it's good to keep those levels on the higher side rather than the lower side. If you have a cast iron pan try to use that to cook with more often." Thank you, midwife number three. I think that having a variety of caretakers is good. They will each dispense similar information but with different details. I'm not much of an asker of questions so this is good for a person like me. (I'm getting better at asking questions though.) I feel like having multiple caretakers helps to cover the entire gamut of information. 

(I then wrote an entire list of high iron foods but am not going to do it this time around.)

1 comment:

  1. Know that you can get plenty of iron without eating meat...and you can add blackstrap molasses.....which I do, every morning...2 tablespoons full.

    ReplyDelete