Monday, May 28, 2012

Biweekly Midwife Visit


We met with the midwife today(5/22/12). She was the only one I haven't met yet, so now I've officially met them all! She confirmed the position of the baby. He is head down still slightly facing back to the left. I think he has turned back a little bit more from the last appointment (good boy!) as I'm feeling movements that are more straight up on my ribs and directly down on my bladder rather than diagonally (yowza!) I'm peeing all the time, it seems. I should count how many bathroom trips I take in a 24 hour period.

I asked her if a vitamin K shot was necessary after birth or if we could administer it orally or if I could take it and the baby could get it via breast milk. She said that ultimately it is my decision and it is not required by law. I wrote about it in this post way back when. I definitely want to make sure his blood has the ability to clot but the fear of childhood leukemia freaks me out as well (even though the leukemia/vitamin k shot link has not been studied thoroughly.) SO MANY DECISIONS COME ALONG WITH BEING A PARENT. I knew this but it's more real now. Thank you Mom and Dad for making tough decisions for me when I couldn't make them for myself.

They also checked my hemoglobin and it's up by .5! So, my iron levels are climbing, I must be eating more iron rich foods because I haven't been taking an extra iron tablet or anything. I've also been using the cast iron pan more consciously too. They are checking my glucose levels again (wait, I think that's what she said, I'm a little spacy this week), doing a test for syphilis, and also doing a Group B Strep test. I will find out results of these at my next appointment.

Mike asked her if she had any idea of when the baby would come, would he come earlier or later or on time? I sort of laughed but I guess no question is a stupid question. She said with all of my regular walking and the baby's current good position - she said his head isn't settled down into my pelvis yet but when that happens, on average, the baby may come 2 weeks after that pelvis settling (she didn't use that term). She also said that women with A+ blood type (which I have), are in good health with no complications thus far in baby or mother (me, so far, knock on wood) and good birthing hips (yay for good birthing hips!) that labor is usually smooth going. Of course there are no guarantees. She predicts early or on time labor/birth. We shall see if all of these midwife predictions are spot on or not. I can't wait to meet the little one and I hope he is as healthy as can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment