Saturday, May 19, 2012

Midwife Visit Part I


We had a midwifes appointment 2 fridays ago and I think we laughed almost the entire time. We met with the Director of the WBWC who has been a midwife for over 33 years. She is the one that gave us a tour of the center. She asked us about baby number two and Mike replied with something like, "No, I think this is going to be the one and only." She replied,
"Babies are like potato chips, you can't just have one." 
Mike said,
"Potato chips that are crying!" 
Haaahha! It was very funny. She was saying to wait for 18 months after this one and to have another then. Man, oh, man she was putting on the playful pressure. I even said, "It's getting really hot in here." So she turned on the fan. Then I hopped up on the examining table and she put one hand on the right side of my belly and said, "You two make really good babies!" The baby's back is curled up against my right-front side and she could feel him without putting much pressure on my belly. But then she went to kneading and searching for where the head is located and she thinks he's head down and facing to the left/back, so, almost in perfect delivery position. I asked her if I should stop doing yoga once he does get into that ideal position because I do lots of down dogs and cat/cows which you're supposed to do to change the baby's position. She said to keep on doing yoga and whatever I'm doing. We listened to the baby's heartbeat and she said, "It's definitely a boy." I asked her what that meant and it's because his heartbeat is slower than a girls would be. She also asked how my mom's births were and I told her and she said she thinks that mine should be similar because the baby is on the right. I don't know if that is some hokey midwives tale but I'll take her word for it and cross my fingers for a smooth birth and labor. Somehow we got on the topic of collecting (hoarding) and she and Mike really hit it off. She was saying things that I have heard Mike say before and it was really scaring me. She said, "I have a room in the house where I just keep the door shut." Mike has one of those rooms too. Anyhoo, we left with smiles, she gave us hugs at the end because I think she really put the pressure on Mike about having 2 babies and he was ready for a nap. Although he also said, "I hope we get her on the birthing day." So he liked her too and didn't take her poking and prodding and teasing too seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment