Sunday, February 26, 2012

Always Be Prepared

 

I am the daughter of  2 generations of stalwart Scouting men. My dad got his Eagle at the early age of 13. Yes, thirteen and he is still involved in scouting today. His dad, my Grandpa (who we called Tutu), was involved in scouts probably through his 60s (he died in his late sixties I believe.) My brother and I never got the scouting bug. Sean got to Webelos...maybe a little farther, and I barely lasted a year in Girl Scouts. I cried before every meeting. What a little pain in the butt I must have been (sorry Dad.) I cried because the girls were mean and we never went camping. Scouting-kids or not my Dad was able to incorporate some scouting skills and philosophies into his parenting and raising of us kiddos. My brother is very outdoorsy and camps and hikes and explores better than some of those guys who even got their Eagle Scout badge! I love to hike, like to camp, enjoy exploring and love to craft (give me a book on tying knots and some rope and it'll keep me entertained for awhile). I think the most important lesson my Dad passed on to us is
TO ALWAYS BE PREPARED
and to always have a partner (especially if you're on a hike or something.) Remember that guy who was out rock climbing in Utah BY HIMSELF whose arm got caught in a big boulder who ended up amputating his own arm to free himself? Well, while everyone else was praising him and calling him a hero, my Dad said something like, what a dummy, if he was out there with a friend he may still have his arm. So, yeah, that's the way my Dad thinks. I like it. Anyways. I came upon these two pieces on breastfeeding, hormones and depression. Perhaps it's a little premature to look into this kind of thing but I "like to be prepared" or as prepared as one can be. I realize that postpartum depression may enter into my life after the baby is born. I don't want it to, but it might.
Here are some things for me to read if it does happen...so that I know that I'm not alone in it:
The Hardest Two Months of My Life and La Leche League: Treatment Options
Until then I am going to think positively:

No comments:

Post a Comment