Friday, February 10, 2012

Rock 'n' Roll Baby

My friend Sarah had a little fundraiser at my friend Stephanie and Jason's House back in October; I think it was Friday, October 14th to be exact. It was when Stephanie looked at me and said that something looked different about me. I wrote briefly about it in the post For the Record (or Too Much Information. Anyhoo. At this get together Sarah had her friend Django Haskins come by and sing some of his songs. He is in the fantastic, local band The Old Ceremony and he is quite the songwriter and entertainer. I took a video of him singing his song "Elsinore":

Little did I know that I had conceived only 6 days ago! (the intuitive Stephanie knew, but I didn't.) So this was the first live performance for the wee babe, who probably couldn't hear anything yet, no eardrums probably had been formed at this point. A week or so later Mike and I went to see The Old Ceremony play in Durham and I still had no clue I was pregnant. Eventually (obviously) I found out that I was "in the family way." On January 21st we went to watch Django perform "Painting the Town" where he sang songs and read excerpts from his in-progress book about "A Rock 'n' Roll Life and the Souls of Four Great American Cities." He really is quite the talent. So, this wee babe of ours has "listened" to Django perform 3 times already. I think I will have to learn some songs and sing them as lullabies because I think the squirrel will find his songs soothing and familiar.

2 comments:

  1. I love his singing...I didn't really listen to the words but I love the melody and his voice!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, he's great right!? elsinore is basically about indecision...or so he said!

      Delete