Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I LOVE THIS FEELING

I remember when I was on my life-changing-backpacking-trip around Europe...

I went with my friend Molly. We bought open-ended tickets thinking we'd be there for a year. Unfortunately we didn't really prepare ourselves money-wise. Molly ran out of money after the first month and I remember thinking, "Bummer, we're gonna have to go home." I felt so dependent on her while traveling. She helped change my life by saying, "But you still have money, you can stay." I can stay. I can stay! How thrilling and frightening. Life-changing. I ended up in Greece in my 3rd month abroad and to this day I am amazed at how fortunate I was on this trip. I had no itinerary, (This drove my Dad bonkers, because I WAS NOT PREPARED), I had no special travel book or map. I just would go to a country and wander and meet people who would point me in the right direction.

I remember arriving in some little coastal town in Greece (Corfu maybe?) and it was pouring rain. I found the youth hostel but no one was at the front desk (it was off season so everything was very quiet). So, I just sat, sopping wet in the dim waiting area when a cat came in and climbed onto my lap. It was all very gross because I was soaking wet, the cat was damp and I was petting it and then the cat's belly started squirming. It was creepy. I realized it was pregnant and what I was feeling were all of the kittens inside of her moving around. It was WILD. I have never forgotten that sensation. She eventually hopped off and sauntered away, with her feline, hanging, kitten-belly and all. Check out this youtube video of this waddling pregnant cat. This is what the Grecian kitty looked like:
 
Ever since I've felt my human baby move with my own two hands I have felt it move every day since. It's especially active when I'm sitting still or lying down. I LOVE THIS FEELING. I tell people this and of course they say (because they are more experienced than me) "You won't be saying that in your 3rd trimester when it's kicking you in the ribs." Maybe I'll regret saying this but I welcome a kick in the ribs from the inside. FROM THE INSIDE! How amazing is it that there is a little human growing inside of me that is moving around and I CAN FEEL IT HITTING MY BLADDER. I have only hit my bladder from the outside, never from the inside. FROM THE INSIDE. This is amazing, people. I don't care what you say. This feeling will never get old, even if it becomes a little painful at times; I will accept the pain with pleasure. If I complain about it I will buy you a bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment