Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Midwife's Appointment

We had our (now weekly) midwife's appointment last Thursday. It was uneventful (other than the news that I am a carrier for Beta Strep) but everything else looked good. His heart rate looked good. He is still upside down and his little body is mostly on my right side with his back against the right hand side of my belly; he's been this way for ages it seems. He stretches his little leg out and I feel his stretches and his wee foot on my left side quite often.When I lay back and look down at my belly it is at a slope because of his position. It reminds me of Half Dome from the right angle, like so:
I asked her if the baby had dropped and she said that they couldn't really tell without doing a vaginal exam. She doesn't think he has. I think he has. But what do I know. She suggested that I take Evening Primrose Oil. They say that it can help first time moms to prevent postdates. Plus it's full of omega oils which are good for all sorts of things.  She also mentioned the "Active Management of the 3rd Stage" which means, once the baby is born they give the mom a shot of pitocin to help contract the uterus and deliver the placenta and it helps with less bleeding which in turn allows the mom to be less tired from not losing so much blood which means it will be easier on those dreaded post partum blues...BUT I think that's ridiculous. Breast feeding is supposed to help contract your uterus after birth. There are other things you can take to up your iron levels as well. The only reason I can see administering pitocin after baby is delivered is if we for some reason cannot breast feed right away. My friend Shawnee was told in her birthing class that taking Alfalfa tablets is supposed to help with less bleeding and blood clotting as well and she did that in her last trimester. There are so many decisions. OY. Pregnancy is definitely not for the indecisive.

No comments:

Post a Comment