Friday, June 8, 2012

My Birth Plan

I was tasked to write up a birth plan. The Birth Center doesn't provide us with an example because they really want the woman to be able to come up with something unique to her. They do give us hints like, Who can be in the room with you? Do you like massage, verbal encouragement, distraction, quiet? So I included that stuff but also included other stuff that I thought was pertinent. I also looked up an example birth plan on baby center but it was very hospitalcentric. Of course this entire plan could go out the door (or to UNC Hospital) but this will help everyone involved, even the medical folks at UNC, if need be. I showed this to the midwife yesterday (but wrote this post on Tuesday!) so there may be changes or additions. Here is the first draft:


Who can be there (besides midwife and nurse)?
  •  Mike (Birth Partner/Husband) - cell ---.---.----
  •  Harriet & Stan (my parents) – cell ---.---.---- - This is if labor/birth takes place after July 7 when they will be in town.

Helpers – People we’ve asked to be “on-call” just in case we forgot something (food, etc.) or in case we need to go to the emergency room and our car with car seat needs to get to the hospital. They can come into the Birth Center and even the Birthing Room but not for extended periods of time unless otherwise asked. 
  •  Jane _____ – cell ---.---.---- home ---.---.----
  • Christina_____ – cell ---.---.----

What do I need to feel supported?
  • Verbal encouragement & reminders to breathe
  • Visualizations (I did a hypnotherapy session which was full of visualizations, i.e. a blue balloon being blown up with each contraction and it floating away once the contraction was over.)
  •  Distraction will probably be helpful: walking, change of position, etc.
  •  I like gentle touch and massage.
  •  Bath or shower – I love baths and I think this would help with contractions.
  •  I may even want quiet. In sports before games I would always be very quiet which would help me focus my mind.

Pain
Using the Pain Medications Preference Scale from Penny Simkin I have a “strong preference to avoid pain medications, mainly for baby’s benefit. Is actively preparing (practicing labor coping skills and reading outside childbirth class) and learning comfort measures, but will accept medications for difficult labor.” I don’t want you to suggest medications. If I ask please try alternatives first. Set goals for me. i.e. ask me “to try 5 more contractions without medication.”Give me lots of verbal encouragement, "You're doing so well." "You're making progress." "We're this much closer to having the baby!"

Environment
·         We may bring music but I may not want to listen to anything.
·         When baby is delivered I’d love for there to be not so much talking. Let the moment unfold.

Photos/Videos
We will bring our camera that has still and video capabilities and set it up on a tripod. I have no expectations of pictures, especially during labor and birth. My husband will snap them if he remembers or gets a chance. If we get some, great, if not that’s o.k. I would love for pics after the birth of baby, me, dad.

Cord cutting
Mike doesn’t have a strong desire to cut the cord but I think we should ask him when the time comes because he may change his mind. If he doesn’t want to the midwife or nurse can do it once the cord has stopped pulsating.

Placenta
We would like to keep it and bring it home.

Water birth/play
I would love to try a water birth. If I am not comfortable in the water and a water birth doesn’t happen, that is fine. I would love to go in the water after the placenta has been delivered and hold the baby in the water. I would also like to initiate breastfeeding as soon as possible.

Eye Drops
We don’t want the baby to have eye drops

Undecided – Vitamin K shot, Cord blood banking

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a solid plan...You have definitely done your research.

    ReplyDelete